This quick recipe is from a cookbook that came with a beautiful black hard anodised pressure cooker, we purchased a couple of years ago. Easy and simple one pot dish , very tasty and looks elaborate.
6 cups water
1 1/4 cups whole black gram/ split black gram
1/4 cup kidney beans soaked in water for 1 hour and drained
2 large tomatoes
1 inch ginger
5 flakes garlic
5 green chillies
3 red chillies
salt to taste
turmeric pdr/haldi a pinch
Rajma pdr /dal makhani pdr 2tsp
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp ghee
2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp butter / more if you please!
1 small onion
1/2 tsp red chilli pdr
- Pour water into cooker, add all the ingredients except those for tadka and cook until done...3 -5 whistles depending on your pressure cooker . It can also be done over the stovetop but will take more time as legumes take a long time to cook
- Once the dals are cooked to tender but firm stage, partially mash with back of ladle , add the dal makhani pdr and simmer to obtain a creamy consistency,
- For tadka, heat ghee in a pan , add onion and roast until transparent and golden brown , remove from heat and add red chilli powder and pour over the dal.
- Let it simmer , and lastly add some (OR LOTS ! ) cream , and butter, stir well and garnish with cilantro.
- Pair it with biryani, rice or hot naans / Indian flatbreads
Our entry for My Legume Love Affair hosted by Mirch Masala
and The Well Seasoned Cook