The arrival of berries, fresh herbs, cherry blossoms is usually a sign of spring…something I'm still waiting for ….we are having weird weather pattern here in the Midwestern Unites States. A warm February, with ground hog announcement of an early spring, followed my a confused March and a cold April. I really am confused which season we are in. It's below freezing with snow showers one day and in the 60F the next. I'm just worried that the extreme temperatures might ruin the cherry blossoms. I tried to go out for a walk in the morning, it was too cold and it did not take me long to walk back home in despair.
It's cold out side, but spring in my kitchen. A few weeks back I made lemon tarts from home made lemon curd. Just loved the citrus flavor with a mild touch of spice. I tried making the tart two ways, one baking the base of the tart followed by baking the lemon curd and second: baking the tart base and setting the lemon curd with gelatin. I liked the second method for two reasons, first it was easier and the beautiful color of the lemon curd is preserved.
I also made a lemon curd ice cream, with store bought ice-cream - and did a tart with it. Loved it !! so here are both variations - with the ice cream and just with lemon curd.
This really is an easy recipe and am planning to make them in mason jars - so I do not have to un mold and it's easy to serve.
Lemon and blueberry tarts
- 1 1/2 cup graham crackers powdered (or digestive biscuits)
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 clove powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp fine coco powder
- 1tsp unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups lemon curd - recipe
- 4tbsp water
- powdered sugar for garnish
- blueberries for garnish
- mint leaves for garnish
- Heat over to 350 F
- Powder the graham crackers a bit coarse.
- Microwave the butter, so it is soft but not liquid.
- Mix the graham crackers with, all-purpose flour, sugar, clove powder, butter and coco, it should start forming a shape when you hold it in your fist.
- Take a cookie cutter preferably 2.5inch or 3 inches in diameter, press the mixture into the bottom.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes
- Cool on wire rack
- In a bowl add 2tbsp water and sprinkle the gelatin evenly, do not add it in a heap as the granules will not dissolve. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, now add 2 tbsp of warm water to it and stir. Strain the liquid.
- Mix the gelatin with lemon curd and pour into the cookie molds which has the graham cracker base. Make sure the base is cool.
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
- Un mold from cookie cutter
- Serve chilled with garnish of powdered sugar, blueberries and mint.
Lemon curd Ice cream
2 cups vanilla ice cream
4 tbsp lemon curd
2 tsp lemon zest plus additional for garnish
- Thaw the ice cream for about half an hour
- mix the lemon curd and zest
- pour into the cookie molds that have base on them
- freeze for 3-4 hours
- garnish with zest, blueberries and mint.
- serve chilled
|Lemony ice-cream topping|